Catalytic Converter Thefts
North Yorkshire Police have asked Dunnington Parish Council to publicise the following important message in respect of catalytic convertor thefts, which have recently occurred in Dunnington and the local area.
Catalytic converters are fitted in vehicle exhausts to reduce toxic gases and pollutants. While there is a legitimate market for second-hand catalytic converters, criminals target them for the scrap value of the precious metals found inside. In some cases, thieves cut them from the exhausts of parked vehicles, and sell them on. Hybrid vehicles (whose catalytic converters tend to contain more precious metals and 4x4s (whose higher chassis make them more vulnerable) are particularly at risk.
The following models of vehicles are considered particularly at risk: Honda Jazz / Toyota Prius / Toyota Auris / Mazda 6.
Owners are urged to take extra precautions to protect their vehicles:
- Park your car in a locked garage where possible, or a well-lit and populated area
- Park close to fences, walls or a kerb, or alongside other vehicles, to make theft more difficult
- Avoid parking half on the pavement and half on the road, as this may make it easier for thieves to access the catalytic converter
- If there is a fleet of vehicles, park the low-clearance vehicles to block the high-clearance vehicles and obstruct access underneath
- Ask your local garage about security measures such as a cage device to lock around the converter, a tilt sensor to activate an alarm if the vehicle is jacked up, or equipment to etch a serial number on the converter itself.
The average cost for the replacement is £1000+ and the time the vehicle is off the road waiting for parts to arrive is causing a lot of hardship.
Anyone with information related to the theft of catalytic converters should call North Yorkshire Police on 101. Alternatively, information can be given anonymously by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. If you see a theft in progress, call 999.